- Never pick an upholstery fabric to manufacture swags. All fabric has a “hand”. Correct choice will assist in the manufacture and enable the fabric to hang naturally and dress easily and is an essential component of a successful design.
- Silk, linens and most natural fabrics are inherently irregular; weaves go from heavy to light and their beauty is in their inconsistency. Do not choose natural fabrics if you are expecting a crisp, structured look. Once creased, it is impossible to steam the material without ruining the weave.
- Specify enough fabric to manufacture a treatment to the correct “fullness”. Drapery panels can look extremely skimpy and cheap even if the fabric is an expensive one if the correct fullness factor is not specified.
- Cornices & valances generally look balanced if you follow the correct formula for scaling to room proportions. Florida homes tend to have high ceilings therefore longer treatments. Almost all ready made treatments are proportioned to rooms with 8ft ceilings. Most Florida sliding glass doors are 8ft tall!!
- Do not spend well earned money employing a custom drapery workroom and select cheap fabric, our labor price is the same if we work cheap or more expensive fabric.